Suck the Straws out of Boulder: A New Campaign for Colorado
Suck the Straws out of Boulder is an educational campaign to decrease the use of plastic straws in Boulder. We encourage local restaurants to only serve straws upon request, and to offer an alternative to plastic in such cases.
The City of Boulder uses about 176,000 plastic straws every day. In the United States, we use 500 million every single day - enough to encircle the earth 2.5 times. Many of these straws end up in the environment and in our ocean, where they can cause widespread pollution and be fatal to marine life. Plastic straws are one of the top 10 most common trash items found on beaches worldwide.
Our collaborative movement took off when like-minded individuals found strength in numbers.
The idea of the campaign came to light when Toula Georgakopoulos, the owner of Taco Junky, a hip restaurant on The Hill in Boulder, Colorado stumbled upon a video showing the harm that plastic straws can do to marine life. She thought about how her restaurant might make a small step, which would have big consequences. On August 1st, 2016, Taco Junky went straw-free and through Toula’s outreach attracted partners in the community including who were also addressing plastic pollution, including the Colorado Ocean Coalition, Shared Paths, and Verde Azul.
The groups collaborated to create the campaign, Suck The Straws Out Of Boulder, to eliminate single use plastic straws in the city limits of Boulder, Colorado. The campaign targets restaurants, coffee shops, small businesses, and the community at large. Everyday the U.S. alone uses over 500 million straws and plastic straws are one of the top 10 marine debris items found on our beaches worldwide.
Since going straw free, Taco Junky has saved 13,000 straws on average per month from entering our waste stream. Change moves outward in ripples, and Suck the Straws Out of Boulder seeks to bring the empowering message that one small change for every business in Boulder has a great impact on our waters and the life they support - from our local rivers and streams all the way to the sea.
We are encouraging all restaurants - in Boulder and beyond - to make the pledge to only serve straws upon request, and to offer paper or compostable alternatives upon request. We invite other cities and states to modify the literature we have provided and to join the campaign targeting your area. Please see the Download Campaign Materials link further down the page.
Want to Get Involved?
- The next time you're at a restaurant, simply say, "No straw, please."
- If you are attached to straws, bring a reusable one with you.
- Encourage your favorite restaurants to join the movement.
- Spread the word to your friends and family.
- Make a commitment to stop offering plastic straws in your restaurant. If people ask for a straw, offer a paper or compostable alternative.
- Download the "Join Us Form" from the Campaign Materials link below and email back to Christine Evans. If you are outside of Boulder, change your town and state on the form.
- Use the materials provided in the campaign packet to promote the movement at your restaurant.
- Encourage other restaurants in your area to join!