INLAND OCEAN CHAPTERS
The Inland Ocean Coalition is actively expanding its network of inland ocean chapters. In keeping with our vision for citizens and communities to take an active role in improving the impacts and relationships between the inland, the coasts, and the ocean, our chapters build land-to-sea stewardship through education, community engagement, and the implementation of Inland Ocean Coalition programs and campaigns. Each chapter works on issues unique to its locale and helps people understand that we all have an impact on the ocean, no matter where we live. Chapters are encouraged to develop and share ideas while working together to expand current inland ocean campaigns.
Grow Your Chapter
The following steps help define and grow Inland Ocean Chapters:
- Identify and support local watershed-to-sea issues
- Plan Blue Drink events, documentary screenings, panel discussions, or other events to introduce your Inland Ocean Coalition chapter to the community
- Grow membership by setting up tables at local community events and through social media
- Partner with local businesses and events that work on relevant IOC issues
- Join our Suck the Straws Out Campaign to encourage local restaurants to stop using plastic straws and to raise awareness about single-use plastics more broadly
- Team up with Blue the Dive and encourage your local dive shop to go blue!
The Chapter Guide for Inland Ocean Chapters explains in detail how to work with the Inland Ocean Coalition to create and manage an Inland Ocean Chapter.