Inland Ocean Chapters
The Inland Ocean Coalition’s single most important and ambitious goal is to expand its network of inland chapters. In keeping with our vision for citizens and communities to take an active role in improving the impacts and relationships between the inland, the coasts, and the ocean, our chapters promote healthy oceans through education and community engagement. Each chapter works on matters and issues unique to its locale and programs help people understand the land-to-sea concept. Chapters are encouraged to develop and share watershed components, ideas, and programs and to work together to expand current inland ocean programs.
Current chapters of the Inland Ocean Coalition include Colorado, Sonoran Desert in Arizona, Great Lakes in Michigan, Illinois, Utah, Prairie in Manitoba, Canada, and the University chapter model at University of Colorado. The growth of the Inland Ocean Coalition supports the potential for inland communities to engage in land-to-sea stewardship.
Check out what each of our chapters is up to!
Grow Your Chapter
The following steps help define and grow Inland Ocean Chapters:
- Identify and support local watershed-to-sea issues
- Plan Blue Drinks events to introduce the Inland Ocean Coalition to the community
- Grow membership by setting up tables at local community events and through social media
- Partner with local businesses and events that are water-/ocean-minded
- Join our Suck the Straws Out Campaign to encourage local restaurants to stop using plastic straws.
Team up with Blue the Dive and encourage your local dive shop to go blue!