Dear Partners and COCO Supporters,
This past Sunday we celebrated World Water Day by taking action against #SilentOilSpills.
Call To Action
It’s perfect that this year’s theme is ‘Water and Sustainable Development‘. The theme is about how water links to all sustainable development areas that we need to consider in order to create the future we want. For example, the Silent Oil Spills campaign is raising awareness about the impacts of petroleum motor oil, and how everyone can be part of the solution, from how they shop (choose recyclable and biodegradable motor oils) to how they drive (a properly maintained vehicle keeps oil off the roadways). Petroleum-based motor oils and industrial lubricants are contaminating our water supply and causing irreversible damage to our environment, and to us.
As our partners we are asking you to help spread our message and bring awareness to this issue. Below are a few things you can do!
3. Use the hashtags #silentoilspills and #timeforanoilchange
4. Sign our petition! http://ow.ly/DwsBT
5. Send out messages to your social networks!
“More than 40% of water pollution in the U.S. is from used motor oil. More used motor oil is illegally dumped every year than the oil lost in the BP Gulf Coast Spill. It’s time we do something about it.”
The greatest source of petroleum pollution in the ocean is transported there through rivers and streams, largely from the improper disposal of used motor oils down drains and from urban street runoff.
- 500 million gallons of used petroleum lubricating oil reaches the world’s oceans each year through routine ship maintenance and improper disposal of used oils.
- The U.S. Coast Guard estimates that sewage treatment plants discharge twice as much oil into coastal waters as do tanker accidents.
Visit www.timeforanoilchange.org/ to learn more. We know that together we can make a positive impact!
Your Friends at Time for an Oil Change