A recap of my first week at the mountain research station includes the following:
- Endless bottles of lake water, containing a variety of zooplankton and phytoplankton
- Awareness of what I deposit into surrounding areas (trash, etc.)
- A heightened sense of adventure
- A conquered hike to Rollins/ Corona Pass and the Needle Eye Tunnel (which if you haven’t read about- you should)
- A continuous love for the ocean- as well as lakes and streams
- An increase in motivation to combine freshwater and marine science studies in graduate school
With that said, I have decided to show through pictures rather than text, the effects of alpine watersheds on the ocean, and why it is important to keep them clean!